Sunday, March 7, 2010

"Attraversiamo" (Italian for "Let's cross over")

Eat, Pray, Love Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I hate to be corny about this. I don't read NYtimes bestsellers ever! But a friend of mine who I love nearly hit me over the head with it and so I reluctantly bought it and gave it a try. First few pages I didn't hate, next few pages I was kinda liking it, I had to admit and the next thing I knew I was on this journey with Liz and loving just about every minute! I let go of all my snobby reservations and just listened to her.
As a woman in my 30s, a writer and artist and someone who subscribes to the need for personal spiritual journeys, this was a very timely read for me. Liz is incredibly candid, deeply observing, not only of her surroundings but of her own flawed and doubting nature. She is brave and self deprecating, funny and warmly accessible.
I hate to say it but I laughed and cried and laughed and felt a bit changed by the end. I hated for it to be over but I was very happy with the conclusion and now cannot wait to read "Committed."
: )

View all my reviews >>

2 comments:

Destiny Deater said...

I was in an airport Borders and I was looking for something to read during my layover. The cashier's looming presence made me so nervous that I just picked this book up on a whim just to get out of there. I began to read it and from the moment she takes you back to her divorce I was captivated. I'm now well involved in this journey with her and am simply unable to put the book down. Although I'm only in my early early twenties I can relate to her (being an artist and experiencing my quarter-life crisis) in such a way that I frequently forget that this is a biography about a thirty-year old and not my innermost thoughts (which they clearly can not be because Liz is wise beyond my years). I'm so in love with this book--I just want to share it with the world, yet keep its beauty to myself all at the same time!

sowmya said...

Thanks for sharing such an excellent post, which is really quite informative to make a look into it.
Funny blog site