Wednesday, September 24, 2014

How's Married Life?


I have heard this question so many times since we got married in June and I never really know what to say to people. I mean I want to be like, “It’s great! It’s changed everything!” or “I don’t know. it’s getting a bit rough lately.” Well not the latter but at least something more definitive than “Well we’ve been together over nine years so… it’s not really that different.” LOL! But it’s true!

 I think the only part I can readily comment on is addressing him as my husband to other people. That kinds cracks me up, not because I don’t take it seriously but because it always sounds like something other people say. It also makes me feel old. And we’re just not the most “old” couple. I mean we’re just us. Am I different now that I’m a wife? I don’t think so but there are things that I’m doing just in terms of being a better more conscious partner that I suppose can be attributed to my commitment to being a better partner. But that word, wife…I don’t know. For myself, I tend to regard it from afar with a bit of skepticism. I’m still inching up to what it means to me to be a wife outside of the socially defined parameters of it that most of us are familiar with. I do believe there are things a wife should do for a husband as part of their vows but I guess I’m kind of private about that stuff. It’s different than the stuff you do just because you’re being a nice person. Whoa. That just unlocked something I haven’t thought about too much. Excuse me while I process that.

Married life is great. But here’s the thing. I’m not sure if it’s great because I’m married or because I’m married to exactly who I want, because in that case, I’d be happy either way. Married life might be different for me if I was with with someone I couldn't be my fullest self around. So I’ll just say that I’m probably not aware of the additional layer of identity marriage has applied to me with regards to how others see me as yet because I tend to be pretty private.  I don't walk around announcing to everyone that they should now address me by my married name. That was never my thing. And I'm not judging ladies whose thing it is.

Wife is a journey. Get it?

Ain't I clever?



No comments: