Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Silent Morning


Usually, when I come into the office in the mornings, I'm the only one here for over an hour. I relish that quiet time when I can get a few personal things done.

This morning I continued working on a yellow cowl neck scarf I started this weekend on a pair of wooden bamboo circular needles which are among my favorite needles to work with. I find that knitting has become more and more like a meditation for my mind. When my hands are busy making repetitive patterns, the thoughts that plague my mind, the constant internal chatter, fall by the wayside temporarily. I am rhythm and pattern. I'm doing a simple rib stitch in rounds which is easy enough to remember since it's just an alternative knit stitch pattern. Initially I wanted to do a seed stitch because I think it's slightly more urban but whenever I try that while knitting in the round it always turns into a rib stitch which I feel is a very Ivy League stitch. I haven't figured out why this keeps happening yet but I will. For now I just wanted to make something yellow. My Spring mini resolution is to wear more yellow. It's a beautiful cheery color that I love in moderation on people and adore in abundance in nature

The sun came out through the clouds a couple of time while I was knitting. The weather report called for some spotty showers, and I brought an umbrella but I'm hoping it's a false alarm. I really enjoyed sitting out in the Park yesterday for the first time this season with the sun on my face even though I know this weather is unnatural. I need the sun. I need this quality of silence. I need yellow in my life.

No comments: