The first thing we after we unpacked, settled in and pushed cots together in our two separate rooms and checked out the restrooms and grilled dinner outside our cabin was walk a mile out to Sebago beach in the dark along the highway with lanterns. That may sound a little crazy but I think it was just what we needed to unplug our brains a bit and be present in nature. When we got there we lay down on the asphalt instead of walking to the water and looked up at the stars and talked for almost an hour I guess. Those stars were amazing. We looked up at the them whole time we were walking there, every once in a while looking out for cars and turning our lanterns on and off. We even saw a few shooting stars.
Walking several rocky yards from our cabin to use the restroom took a little getting used to but I have to be honest, I really liked it a lot. We got amazingly perfect weather, never too cool or humid. I loved hearing the crickets and cicadas sing at night. I mean it’s like this natural sedative. And I love eating outside. It really enhances the whole experience. Drinking and watching a big old campfire while listening to music (Vernon and I thankfully both brought our laptops) is just heavenly. And Jeanette literally thought of everything. She is a camping pro. She had the place fully functional in minutes!
I never get stressed out when I go to the woods or anywhere rural. I breath better. I let go easier. Sebago Lake was just what I needed. I guess it’s also really lucky that Fran and I get along so well with J and V. We really have fun together. It never feels like we’re trying. And I am so comfortable around them, I can just be ugly you know. I didn’t worry about my make-up (I wore none) or hair the whole time. It was just too good a time to worry about that superficial crap. Because the truth is I get so sick and tired of thinking about it all the time even when I have to because essentially it means nothing.
I had such an amazing time emptying out just staring at the lake, there was no room for that part me that obsesses over minutiae constantly. It was such a relief! I know it will all come back when I go back to the city and to work but it really helps to know it’s possible to let it all wash away for a few days and feel almost finally that whatever is left is what’s real and what really matters. That’s all I really want.
No comments:
Post a Comment