Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Pinterest Junkie
I'm just going to jump straight into the fact that Pinterest has become my new favorite distraction. Every time I'm on pinterest, I find something new I want to try in arts and crafts or DIY and even new recipes. Personally I have exactly 44 boards at the moment. Omigod. I have 44 boards? That's ridiculous. That's just stupid. Well anyway I do. They range from the substantial, inspirational and artistic to the odd, superficial and insipid.
My top 5 personal faves are:
Life with Blythe
Obamarama
Locs Locs and Locs
He's Sexy
Crafty
Big Dris!!! my shrine board to Idris Elba deserves an honorary mention. Obviously all my boards are my favorites but these in particular bring me great joy to curate and maintain and share. I also love to see what the people I follow pin and the pattern of things that get pinned repeatedly in certain categories. It really is one big giant cycle or never ending pinning. I mean it can get a bit overwhelming, but fortunately, I do have some discipline and I usually know what I'm looking for when I get on, even if it is just for a quick escape. Sometimes I'm pinning away on one or two boards and other times I'm looking at what my fave pinners are up to or sharing pins with others. Locs Locs and Locs is so uplifting for me. The amount of styles, colors, textures, lengths and decoration that people have created with Locked hair is endlessly inspiring to me especially since this is my fourth time around locking my hair and it is such different experience than ever before. It's a very different journey at this stage in my life and it helps me a lot to see the diversity of styles reflected on pinterest. Locs are so much a reflection of the inner spirit and I've never seen any two people with locs that look identical. I just really love them.
Obamarama is my great joy. I mean for me just seeing the Obama's sharing their lives together and engaging with people all over the world, makes me smile every time. I just look at this board and feel very light and wonderful. I imagine that this must be what it was like for women who were obsessed with the Kennedys at that time. Well this is my Camelot. And good or bad policies, the Obamas are a beautiful family. Their legacy will be even larger and more far reaching in years to come.
I don't need to explain He's Sexy do I? It's basically shameless ogling of my favorite male celebs past and current. But I also created another subcategory of fine males on a board called Bearded Men Are Sexier
because I really do love a beard or some shadow. Yeah. So there's that.
Life with Blythe is an homage to my deep, vast, photographic otherworld obsession with Kenner's giant headed, big eyed 1970s Blythe Doll who was a failure in the children's toy market but who somehow became a cult sensation among adult women, who dabbled in past times involving, art, sewing, design, photography or just hoarding. LOL! And if they were not dabbling in these areas, somehow Blythe inspires them to do so. It sounds crazy but it's true. She's a creative muse.
So basically Pinterest brings all things visually representative with you in common together in one place and feeds it continuously through a growing network or other pinners. It's kind of sick, kind of genius, kind of like so many things on the internet. I enjoy it thoroughly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment