Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Power Images Hold


Brouillard
Originally uploaded by Muriel.A

I remember last year going to see a collection of Georgia Okeefe's on the last day of it's showing at the Whitney. I went with Fran and Elsie who had told us about it. I remember seeing paintings that literally pulled me across the room, painting that had a visceral churning effect in my stomach. I'm not sure why but I know that on conscious level that she was expressing something that could only be rendered on a subconscious or subliminal level through her work.

I felt that way just now looking at this hipstamatic photo by Muriel A. on flickr. It jarred me a little bit. I'm a big believer in that there must be a relationship between the viewer and what is being viewed in order to produce any reaction. Neither the image nor the viewer are static.. All art is a mirror. And the reflections that unfold over time are the ones that intrigue me the most.

No comments: