Thursday, September 2, 2010

Godric Returns?



"True Blood" haters, close thine eyes. Or just don't read this entry. I've been very good I think about not writing and tiresome opinion entries about my favorite HBO show, "True Blood." I may have written about when it first came out but honestly I think it's kind of tacky to write stuff like, "oh, I love it so much" if that's all one has to say.

Ummm, does anyone remember how Godric, the oldest, most powerful vampire died in the last season, Season 2? He died willingly on a roof, exposing himself to the sun to meet the "true death" as his progeny Eric begged on his knees and in tears that he spare himself while Sookie watched on from behind.He had had enough of what to him had become the pointless war between vampires and humans.  It was a jaw dropping scene. It really raised the bar of performance on the show and honestly I don't think any other episode since has been as equally compelling. And now it seems he is is making a somewhat celestial comeback in the finale.

I have to admit that my initial excitement over the show has sharply vacillated since last season and finally waned. I like just about every characters but sometimes all their performances are a bit lame and over the top. I do find it interesting to watch Anna Paquin and Malloy in their Sookie and Bill dance considering that they are not only just married in real life but seem to have an uncommonly genuine love for each other or at least that's what I pick up from reading about them an seeing them together. It's nice to feel that coming from the screen in their scenes together.Because ultimately, my own personal fascination with vampires has always been about two things primarily: the fact that they get to live forever (if they avoid staking and the sun) because imagine all the shit you get to see living that long (depending on when you were turned) history, human nature, food, sex etc. The other thing I love, which remains tied to the lore of Count Vladimir Dracula is that long deep search for one's true love over "oceans of time." I'm a sucker for that. Alan Ball has put a perverse and humorous twist of both these themes and more but at this point, without Godric in the picture to sort of elevate it's meaning it does often seem to be little more than a soap opera which is not what I expected. But then again, I'm not sure I ever really know what to expect from Alan Ball. Maybe that's why I keep watching anyway.

No comments: