Mustang Sally
Originally uploaded by zanalee
"Regarding Intimacy" gave me the stomach flips a bit. It's unnerving to have strangers have a go at your work but that's what we'll be doing every week for three hours a day, twice a week along with the occasional guest speaker.
Class make-up so far
Me-Only black woman
Predominantly female and white
One male/Asian ( I really enjoyed his work, great composition and exposures, rich color. He just finished his masters there.)
So far about seven of us in total
Saul Robbins is pretty cool though. I like his approach a lot. I like it when people can make me think about my work in different ways and make me realize things I could never come to without an intelligent outside perspective. It really allows me to understand my voice though the way I make pictures in a more definitive, less scattered way.
We all had to show our work and talk about it and then listen to critiques from the class. For me talking about my work was the hardest. Some of us had prints, others, web stuff that was projected on a white board. It was very interesting and I see that it will also be quite a challenge to hone my varied approaches down into something with a cohesive, more coherent message. I'm super excited, but also a little worried because I like to shoot so many different things in so many different ways. But I did get some ideas from my first critique so I'm gonna try to begin running with that.
In the meantime we also have a sort of free writing exercise as homework to begin to think about what best describe my images and "the project you will be working on." I'm really liking it so far. I mean I live for this.
No comments:
Post a Comment