I don't think that there has been one day since I started taking "Regarding Intimacy" that I haven't been stressed out about getting my photos processed at some drugstore in time to bring to class. The thing is I rarely make prints because all the pictures I take usually stay digital, go up on flickr or facebook or sent through email but hardly ever framed. And who ever heard of a photo album these days? But I really prefer to present prints in class. Although we have the option to present our work digitally as well on the department's projector and many students do, I prefer mounting prints on the magnetic wall. It gives the viewer a more controlled sense of perception. Being able to go back and forth looking at the work feels more organic and tactile to me. The class also seems to be able to make conclusions, draw relationships and generally edit things out better when the work is in front of them and able to be moved around.
Walgreens has become my official photo processor for two main reasons
1. They're open 24 hours (yes!)
2. You can choose white borders for your prints
I learned a week or so ago to my utter dismay that the Duane Reades or CVS drugstores in Harlem where I live either don't have the white border option for prints smaller than 5x7 or they don't have the white border option at all. They have crappy holiday and special occasion borders but no white borders. I just don't get it and if I try my head starts to hurt. So I stick the Walgreens of Times Square just minutes from where I work. But they have their own issues as well, mostly having to do with the service people never being able to confirm that the estimated "promise time" will actually be the time your prints will be done. I have to say though, that they're usually done in the estimated time. I just get really nervous either way because I like to be prepared for class and I really enjoy and crave the feedback.
A classic white border can make just about any picture look like something more than it is. Any expert can tell when there is real intent behind any photograph but for me the white border is a total must. A white border provides a consistent aesthetic to a series of pictures whose subject matter may be a little disconnected or enhance the aesthetic for a set pictures that that do have a clear connection.So in instances where I thought I might not be able to get that white border I felt berserk.
No comments:
Post a Comment