
So as you know I am a truly addicted fan of HBO's True Blood. I think, that aside from my romantic notions about vampires I also really like Sookie Stackhouse's character. Her ability to hear people's thoughts makes her a bit of a freak in a way that I think many women can relate to, especially in terms of their constant violation by a patriarchal society. And on a personal level, we can all relate to having a quality that makes us somewhat self conscious around others and wanting or finding someone who accepts them and let's us feel "normal."
But enter the token black woman, Tara (ha!) and we have again that familiar old stereotypical Mammy character who plays both best friend, guardian and bouncer to Sookie while also dealing with her alcoholic mother. She's tough and argumentative, loud and challenging and in love with Sookie's older brother. Sometimes I just get so sick of seeing this woman pop up in white media fantasies over and over again! I mean, it's not a character without nobility and strength, dignity and intelligence but it's also not the only one that black women can play! The white world would say that provision of roles like this for black actresses is proof that there are roles available for them but when they continue to be of a marginal, sidekick nature then it's just a new form of racism isn't it?
3 comments:
I didn't think about her character like that. It's my flaw I suppose. When I watch tv, I turn off my brain lol.
But, you're right. You forgot to toss in the fact that she's kind of on the slutty tip since she's banging her boss of all people. She's dumb because she's in love with a dude who played her on day 1. LOL
At the same time though, I think she'll probably be one of the most important characters because she won't really change. She's very much a foil character, an anchor for us viewers, at least for this season.
Her mother does bother me as well. She's turned out to be very Eve's Bayou with a touch of Alfre Woodard's past characters and she's played far too many "substance" addicted roles.
But, throw in Lafayette as well. The only Black male character that happens to be just about EVERYTHING but a "regular joe" - he's gay, he's a drug dealer, wears makeup, and has an internet/webcam porn site. He's like a Starbucks coffee.
There are only three Black characters in the whoooole series, so far, and all three of play to just about every negative black stereotype available.
What else are we missing here?
I gotta say though, I really like Lafayette mainly because I think the guy who plays him has actually acting chops. He may be in a stereotypical role but he plays the shit out of it. The "Burger with AIDS in it" scene! Priceless. : )
Yeah I agree. You saw my comment on facebook LOL. That was hilarious. LOL.
Post a Comment