Thursday, October 6, 2011

R.I.P. Steve Jobs


Apple Macintosh (serial # 1) computer, from 1985
Originally uploaded by national museum of american history

Once upon a time I used these Mac computers in high school. I used square floppy disks and everyone was required to purchase a disk holder from the library. I had all my papers and poetry and stories on my disks. I love those things. I took a lot of pride in labeling them and personalizing them by color.

I never dreamed there would ever come a day when a smaller, sleeker, sexier, space saving version would come along but it did and from the unique muliti-colored iMacs (I had the elusive green one. It's still in my closet) to the toggling flat screen desk tops to Macbook to Airbook, Apple, my favorite computer in the world has come a long long way.

Sure I started out on a PC when I was too young to know better. LOL!! DOS commands and Commodore 64 were all that were around for awhile. But when Macs came along, I got on and never looked back . I remember many an hour sitting in my High School library drawing dirty pictures on MacPaint. Ahhh Macpaint. It was all so fascinating to me, the things you could do even back then.

We had both PCs and Macs at my high school but when it came time to get them out for study periods, I made sure to be among those who walked over to the computer storage room myself to roll the computers out and into my classroom. All I wanted was a Mac.

No comments: