Marcus Garvey Park Pool ducks
Originally uploaded by Zanalee
Every summer the public park across the street from me has adult lap pol swimming in the evening. I've been going on and off just about every summer for the last two or three years usually at the prompting of good friend of mine who lives a few minutes away as well.
Yesterday, a guy who works there at the park pool, was kind enough to give me my first real swimming lesson ever. He taught me just how my arms and hands should go over my head, a little bit about how to breath and also how to kick my legs. These are things that I've gathered in snatches over the years from several other people, friends and family but never really understood until now.
Until now, I've only done a clever imitation of swimming. But now that I understand the form better, I can feel just how much of a work out it really is. Your entire body has to be in motion and in coordination. There's a lot of balance to it. I really like it. Plus which, I sleep so well after a swim, it's wonderful. It's like an instant sedative. I'm a light sleeper and sometimes it takes me a while to get there but after a swim, I usually hit the pillow and barely move until the morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment