Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Last Stand


First off, this will be the last time I mention True Blood in my blog. I mean how pathetic right? It's a television show. But the thing is I don't really watch television. This is the only show I watch every single week without fail so it's pretty special to me. And that seems to be the case for me with all of Alan Ball's shows.

When Godric dies, the allusions to The Crucifixion are pretty obvious but the fact that he is a thousand year old vampire is all about Alan Ball's obsession with death, immortality and the endless questions that surround the meaning of life.

With Eric as his brother, father, son, there are also strong allusions to the intense bond between Jesus and Judas, and a clearly homo-erotic subtext.

And as for Sookie, if there was ever a moment to fall for someone who she believed was cold, conniving, blood thirsty and ruthless, this was it. Personally I was quite moved by the entire scene on the roof and am constantly amazed at Ball's ability to take the corny campiness of supernatural lore and make it so translatable.

No comments: