"Whites were fools and one constantly had to fight in order not to underestimate their power and danger, because a powerful and dangerous fool is not to be underestimated. Add the elements of hypocrisy and fear and one had an extremely volatile combination that could easily blow the country, even the world apart. In the Army, Freeman had learned to respect but not fear the potential danger of the explosives; rather, he learned how to use them."
-Sam Greenelee
I just started reading this book this week. I can count on two hands the number of books I've read about men by men. I don't count "The Outsiders" or Rumblefish" by S.E. Hinton because S.E. Hinton was actually a woman. "Down These Mean Streets" by Piri Thomas I read on assignment in high school and the horrible biography of Donald Goines which I was pretty much forced to read by a friend in high school who worshiped him at the time. "Kaffir Boy", "Black Boy", "Native Son" and "Invisible Man" were also read on assignment. I've known about "The Spook Who Sat by The Door" most of my life. A close friend (also from high school) lent me his copy a few months ago. I'm not that far into it but I really like it so far and I wonder, given it's politically topical nature and obvious underground popularity why it was never picked up our re-released by a bigger publishing house. But I guess the passage above suggests a possible reason.
No comments:
Post a Comment